David H. Vance
David H. Vance, Ph.D.
For over 25 years, Dr. David H. Vance has been immersed in life science-based intellectual property. He has prepared and prosecuted large US and worldwide patent families both as in-house counsel and as a consultant for pharmaceutical companies. Dr. Vance has counseled clients for a variety of IP needs including in-licensing of technology, freedom-to-operate opinions, competitive analyses, and drug candidate protection.
Within the life-sciences sphere, Dr. Vance drafted and prosecuted patent applications that related to cardiovascular, inflammation, obesity, and antibiotic indications. His background in organic chemistry and work with virology and imaging research groups at DuPont Pharmaceuticals Company has further contributed to his clients’ successful outcomes.
Dr. Vance has also helped companies develop effective, business-focused patent strategies, from handling diligence matters relating to the purchase and sale of corporate assets to working with private inventors and investors devising cost-efficient and timely patent strategies.
Beyond life sciences, Dr. Vance has handled cases from a diverse array of subject matter including mechanical devices, graphene production, organic light-emitting diodes, and chemical sensors.
- University of Virginia School of Law (J.D.)
- The Ohio State University (Ph.D.)
- University of Delaware (B.S.)
- Admitted in VA and USPTO only; practice is limited to matters and proceedings before federal courts and agencies
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Representative Presentations and Publications:
- American Chemical Society’s Spring 2021 Virtual Meeting, Chemistry and the Law Division: Some Good News, Diagnostically Speaking (April 8, 2021).
- The Center for Advancing Innovation’s Children’s Health Challenge Webinar: IP Evaluation & Strategy (August 28, 2020).
- The Center for Advancing Innovation’s Brain Race Webinar: IP Evaluation & Strategy (November 7, 2019).